Her speech is titled:
Iranophobia and its connection to Islamophobia: Why Canadian-Iranians should be concerned about both issues.
To learn more about Dr. Victoria Tahmasebi:
Victoria Tahmasebi-Birgani is an Assistant Professor of Women and Gender Studies, in the Department of Historical Studies at the University of Toronto Mississauga and in Women and Gender Studies Institute at the University of Toronto. Dr. Tahmasebi is an interdisciplinary scholar whose areas of specialization encompass feminist theories in relation to continental and transnational contexts; critical theories of women’s movements in the Middle East; digital activism; gender and ethics of non-violence; contemporary history of social and political thought.
She holds an Honours B.A. in Sociology and Women’s Studies from the University of Toronto, and M.A. and Ph.D. in Social and Political Thought from York University, Toronto, Canada.
Some of her recent and forthcoming publications include:
Manuscript: Emmanuel Levinas and Politics of Non-Violence (University of Toronto Press, forthcoming)
“Women Continue the Unfinished Project of Liberation in the MENA Region through Online Activism,” in The Unfinished Project of Social Movements in the Middle East, edited by Mojtaba Mahdavi (New York: Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2017).
“Social Media as a Site of Transformative Politics and Political Dissent: Iranian Women’s Online Contestations,” in Iran’s Struggles for Social Justice: Economics, Agency, Justice, and Activism, edited by Peyman Vahabzadeh (New York/London: Palgrave MacMillan, 2017)
“Green Women of Iran: The Role of the Women’s Movement During and After Iran’s Presidential Election of 2009,” Constellations: An International Journalof Critical and Democratic Theory, (March 2010), 17 (1). Reprinted in Civil Society and Democracy in Iran, ed. Ramin Jahanbegloo (New York: Lexington Books, 2012).
On September 29th, join us to support the efforts and initiatives of the Iranian Canadian Congress (ICC). Your participation and financial support will strengthen the institution that advocates for your rights and your interests.
YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT WILL HELP THE ICC TO:
- Mobilize a grassroots network of Iranian Canadian advocates across Canada.
- Advocate for renewed relations between Iran and Canada, and the rights of Iranian Canadians to access necessary consular services.
- Fight discrimination against our community, anti-Iran rhetoric and Iranophobia.
- Block any efforts to impose new sanctions on Iran that negatively affect our community.
- Highlight the many positive contributions of the Iranian-Canadian community to Canada's multicultural society.
- Encourage participation of Iranian-Canadians in the Canadian society.
The ICC is the only organization that advocates for the interests of the Iranian Canadian community nationally in the political, social economic, and cultural spheres. Support the ICC to strengthen our community’s voice in Canada.
* GENERAL ADMISSION: $50. Additional donation is encouraged and appreciated.
* STUDENT ADMISSION: $30. Student tickets are not available online and must be purchased in person showing valid student ID.
* Hors d'oeuvres and a complementary drink will be served. Cash bar is available.
Purchase your tickets online using the following link:
* Online tickets are subject to a $3.60 CND service fee.
To purchase your ticket in person, call 647-539-4344 where it can be picked up from our office at 45 Sheppard Avenue East, Unit 900, from 9 AM to 5 PM Monday to Friday.
* Tickets shall be purchased in advance. Tickets are not guaranteed at the door.
If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected]