Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hon. Chrystia Freeland
Leader of the Official Opposition, Hon. Andrew Scheer
Shadow Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hon. Erin O'Toole
Leader of the New Democratic Party Jagmeet Singh
Foreign Affairs Critic of the New Democratic Party Guy Caron
Leader of the Bloc Quebecois Yves-François Blanchet
Leader of the Green Party of Canada Elizabeth May
Dear Party Leaders
We are a group of Canadian non-profit organizations who are concerned by the growing momentum toward war against Iran by the United States President Donald Trump and who are calling on the Canadian government to take a stand against war on Iran.
After leaving the Iran Deal (or JCPOA), the Trump administration has systematically inflamed tensions in a push for war. We even learned that Trump called for a military strike on Iran on June 20th, only to cancel it at the last minute.
We have seen this story before. The same individuals who led the world to war against Iraq are now trying to do the same against Iran. Canada needs to stand up for peace and work with our allies to support the Iran Deal.
As such, we ask that Canada:
- Speak publicly against the Trump administration's push towards war against Iran;
- Support the Iran Deal by joining our European allies in allowing Iran to circumvent unilateral US sanctions which have harmed the Iranian people by depriving them of medicine and other vital goods;
- Act as an intermediary between Iran and the United States in order to prevent war and broker a peace plan
We hope that you agree that this matter is extremely urgent and important. We therefore ask you to respond to these issues as soon as possible.
- The Iranian Canadian Congress (ICC)
- Canadian Council of Muslim Women (CCMW)
- Canadian Peace Congress (CPCon)
- Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East (CJPME)
- Independent Jewish Voices Canada (IJV)
- Association of Progressive Palestinian Canadians (APPC)